Wednesday 31 October 2012

Jammin' Halloween!

So, it's Halloween and everyone is busy carving pumpkins, painting faces and decorating their homes ready to celebrate all that scares us in our dreams.......Zombie's, Ghosts my particular one Spider's. Even those toy ones give me the heebie geebie's.


Halloween is cancelled though in my house, the eldest is terrified of the dark and all of the aforementioned nightmare triggering ingredients although he now tells me if everyone is Frankenstien that would be quite alright?! I suppose if you look like Herman Munster, it really would be quite alright!!

 

 
So instead of the usual preparations today would give me I decided to turn my hand to making some Jam. The only fruit to hand was a depleted bowl of clemetines so Marmalade it is!!

I have tried several times to get the consitancy just right but manage to either have a rock hard substance suitable only for breaking paving slabs or one that has more sugar than fruit and tastes, well just awful!!

Not to be detered as practise does make perfect I went to task using the following ingredients and method:



2LB of clementines. Peel and seperate each segment removing as much white membrane as you can (I warn you without the right tools it is about 20 minutes fiddly work!)


Reserve the peel to be used later.

Some recipes call for you to halve each segment  and halve again and put into the pan however I found the method of Little Corner of Mine 's of pulsing the segments in a blender several times does the job just fine.

Cut the reserved peel to the size you like in your marmalade, I prefer it very thin and not too much of it!

I added 2LB of granulated sugar and 1 1/2 tbsp of Lemon Juice.

Put it all into the pan and bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer for about an hour. But keep an eye on it and stir it often or you'll end up with spills just like me!!!





Remove and pour into your prepared and sterilised Jam jar and seal. Your marmalade should thicken nicely once cooled. Mine is cooling and thickening nicely as I type.



And so I wait, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say and marmalade on toast for breakfast sounds just nice!!

Enjoy your Halloween Holidays one and all, wrap up warm and stay safe :)



































































No comments:

Post a Comment