Friday 2 November 2012

Home-made Blueberry Jam!


So, after making my Madarin Marmalade and so far had a thumbs up from eveyone who has tried it, I decided whilst wandering around the supermarket that I would give Jam another go, so I picked up some Blueberries a bag of sugar and some rather nice preservative jars.

 
 
Having spent many hours reading up how to make the perfect jam of every differing flavour I decided to just throw myself into the deep end and try to create a jam using some of the information stored in the old grey matter!
 
 
As most fruits have plenty of their own natural juice you hardly need any additional fluid if any. Some may need only a splash of lemon juice (fresh or bottled) just to reduce the sweetness and some will need water for the reduction or a mixture of both.This really is a matter of personal taste.
 
So my recipe consisted of the following:
 
 
400g/ 14oz Blueberries
225g/ 8 1/2oz Granulated Sugar
40ml/ Apprx 4 1/2 tbsp Water
5ml/ 1 tsp of Lemon Juice
 
 

 
Place the Blueberries into a pan and add the fluid. Gently bring up to a boil, once boiling reduce the heat to a simmer for 10 to 15 minutes being sure to stir several times.
 
Remove from the heat gently press any whole blueberries with the back of your spoon.
 
 
 
 
Return to the heat, add the sugar and stir until dissolved completely then bring the heat back up to boiling. I boiled mine for a further 8 minutes continuing to stir several times so the mixture didn't 'catch' at the bottom of the pan.
 
 Remove from the heat and pour into your prepared jam jars, seal and leave to cool.
 
I have checked mine since cooling and am pleased that is has thickened really well with just a small amount of juice around the side and is of a medium sweetness.....glorious!!
 
 

 
 
Why not try this simple jammy biscuit recipe and change the strawberry jam for this blueberry one. A firm favourite if you have small people at home!!
 
Thanks for reading and good luck!!
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. As I was totally left out of not only the Black forest tasting, but also the Marmalade tasting, I shall assume this puts me in poll position for the Jam tasting?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I still have plenty of marmalade my lovely! You shall have a sample of that as well as the the jam.....I promise!!

      You get the cheese and bacon puffs though :)

      Delete